London | Nadal to play Queen’s
Rafa Nadal, the world number one from Spain, intends to play at the Queen’s pre-Wimbledon event which starts on June 18.
I am very excited to be coming back and playing Queen’s again.Rafa Nadal
Nadal, who won the event in 2008 and then went on to win The Championships, has missed the grass court season these past few years after suffering a wrist injury in 2016 and deciding to take a rest following his dramatic tenth win at the French Open last year.
“I am very excited to communicate that I am going to come to Queen’s in 2018,” Nadal said. “It is going to be the 10th anniversary of my victory in 2008, it’s a great memory, winning there and three weeks later winning Wimbledon. It was an unforgettable year.
“I am very excited to be coming back and playing Queen’s again.”
Nadal’s best performances at Wimbledon have always come following his appearances at The Queen’s Club. He reached the Wimbledon final five times between 2006 and 2011, winning in 2008 and 2010, and making the quarter-finals at Queen’s prior to each of those appearances at the All England Club.
Stephen Farrow, Queen’s tournament director, said: “We are delighted that Rafa is planning to return to The Queen’s Club in 2018. His run ten years ago, when he won at Roland Garros, Queen’s and Wimbledon, will never be forgotten.
“To see him back at the top of the world rankings a decade later is a testament to his greatness and desire to achieve even more.”
Having been forced to retire during his quarter-final match with Marin Cilic because of a hip injury at last months Australian Open , Nadal has been recovering and is expected back inaction at the end of the month in Acapulco.
Meanwhile former Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has a contract to play Queen’s for the rest of his career and is hoping to use the tournament to mark the start of his return from hip surgery last January.