Select Page

US Open | An emotional Murray withdraws

US Open | An emotional Murray withdraws
Getty Images

Andy Murray has pulled out of the US Open two days before the start of the tournament in New York after failing to recover from a hip injury.

It’s too sore for me to win the tournament and ultimately that’s what I was here to try and do

Andy Murray

The British world number two, 30, has not played since Wimbledon, when he was hampered by the injury as he lost to Sam Querrey in the quarter-finals.

Murray practised all week but said on Saturday the injury remained an issue.

“It’s too sore for me to win the tournament and ultimately that’s what I was here to try and do,” said the Scot.

The 2012 US Open champion was due to face American world number 104 Tennys Sandgren in the first round.

It is the first time since the French Open in 2013 that Murray has withdrawn from a Grand Slam tournament.

He revealed during Wimbledon that he had suffered with a sore hip at times since his early twenties, but it became more significant following his French Open semi-final loss against Stan Wawrinka in June.

Murray’s preparation for Wimbledon was cut back and he ultimately succumbed to Querrey in five sets at the All England Club.

He was forced to pull out of tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati as he underwent rehabilitation in the UK, but travelled to New York on 18 August with the expectation of playing the US Open.

“I did pretty much everything that I could to get myself ready here and took a number of weeks off after Wimbledon,” added Murray, who has lost the world number one ranking to Rafael Nadal since Wimbledon.

“I obviously spoke to a lot of hip specialists. Tried resting, rehabbing, to try and get myself ready here.

“I was actually practising OK the last few days.”

Asked if he had risked potential further damage by attempting to play at Flushing Meadows, Murray added: “I certainly wouldn’t have been hurting myself more by trying to play. It was more a question of whether it would settle down in time.

“Obviously I kind of ran out of time. Maybe if I’d been able to take a little bit more time off.”

Murray joins last year’s finalists Wawrinka and Novak Djokovic – both of whom have chosen to end their seasons because of injuries – in a lengthy list of absentees in New York, but he hopes to return to action in 2017.

Croatian fifth seed Marin Cilic will move up to Murray’s place in the draw and face Sandgren in the first round on Monday.








About The Author

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Popular

Sponsor’s Message

TENNIS MAGAZINE

Tennis Threads is newest and now the only printed Tennis magazine in the UK. Packed with exclusive news and reports from some of the most respected Tennis journalist in the UK. Read about your favourite players including Andy Murray, Jo Konta, Heather Watson and Kyle Edmund. Purchase a 12 month subscription today and receive 25% off the cover price.

Please specify when you would like your subscription to start:

Advertisement