NEW

Sister defends Court

June Shanahan, Margaret Court’s sister, told Sydney radio station 2GB on Saturday that she was ‘disgusted’ at remarks made by Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews condemning the awarding of the Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) to the legendary player.

Murray will not be travelling down under

Andy Murray will not be competing at the season opening grand slam and admits he is ‘devastated’ to be missing the Australian Open after testing positive for Covid-19 12 days ago.

Laura Robson undergoes more surgery

Britain’s Laura Robson’s hopes of making a full on-court comeback took another downturn when she underwent a third hip surgery last week.

ATP Cup draw is made for Feb 1 kick-off

In eleven day’s time, the tennis news will switch from recalcitrant players discussing the problems they are facing during quarantine to actual action on the court. That will be a moment to celebrate as the game moves closer to the first grand slam of the season when...

Is Australia shooting itself in the foot?

Australia seems intent on shooting itself in the foot, as participants in the first Grand Slam of the year continue to draw criticism while fur flies over the funding of the quarantining of some 1,200 overseas visitors and Margaret Court is tipped to receive the...

Barty joins Adelaide exhibition

Ash Barty’s hopes of joining the elite group of players in Adelaide for an exhibition on 29 January have been fulfilled as the women’s World No 1 has been named to take part with Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Bernades taken to Melbourne hospital

Brazil’s professional umpire Carlos Bernardes suffered a heart attack In his Melbourne quarantine hotel room and was rushed to hospital on Wednesday, where he is said to be ‘doing well’.

ATP-WTA merger notion stalls

The newly-elected 2021-2022 ATP Player Council includes the return to duty of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, all of whom have supported the notion of merging the ATP and WTA Tours, but the proposal has since stalled.

Murray still negotiating

While the coronavirus problems grow in Melbourne and a minority of quarantined players grumble at the inconvenience of the safety measures imposed on them, British tennis fans await the news as to whether Andy Murray will be allowed to compete

ATP Calendar update

The ATP has announced additions to their 2021 calendar as they continue to fit in opportunities for players to compete during these challenging times which have thrown the traditional calendar into disarray.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Becker leaves German Tennis

Six-time Grand Slam champion Boris Becker has decided to leave his post at the German Tennis Federation at the end of the year because he says he no longer has the time to fulfil his role there.

It was a pleasure for me to visit all federal training centres and to deal intensively with the national coaches, but above all with the children and young people... I will remain on friendly terms with the DTB and can imagine, if my time allows, to take on an even bigger task at the DTB if the opportunity arises.” Boris Becker

The German, who has been overseeing youth development and the national Davis Cup team on behalf of the DTB since 2017, announced his decision on Wednesday.

“Working for the DTB has given me great pleasure over the past three and a half years,” Becker said in a statement on the federation website. “Unfortunately, I currently don’t have the time to continue doing this extensive task.

“It was a pleasure for me to visit all federal training centres and to deal intensively with the national coaches, but above all with the children and young people.

“It was a great honour for me to lead German tennis in the men’s and junior division together with Michael Kohlmann, and I am convinced that he will continue to do this great job on his own.

“I will remain on friendly terms with the DTB and can imagine, if my time allows, to take on an even bigger task at the DTB if the opportunity arises.”

The 53-year old has been charged in London over accusations he hid assets including two Wimbledon trophies, including the 1985 Wimbledon men’s cup that catapulted him to sporting stardom, plus real estate and bank accounts during bankruptcy proceedings and could face several years in prison if convicted.

Becker, who lives in London, is due in court accused of not complying with obligations to disclose information after being declared bankrupt in 2017 and is being prosecuted by the Insolvency Service.

He was arraigned on a series of charges last month, including concealing more than £1 million ($1.8 million) held in bank accounts, as well as property, and is also accused of removing hundreds of thousands of pounds by transferring it to other accounts, including to former wife Barbara Becker, and estranged wife Sharlely ‘Lilly’ Becker.

He also has many commitments as a TV analyst.

DTB President Ulrich Klaus has left the door open for a return for Becker, stressing that the work he has being doing was on a voluntary basis.

“Boris Becker made an outstanding contribution to the German Tennis Association in this role,” Klaus said “We are extremely grateful to him that he was available to us with this voluntary commitment.

“The Davis Cup weeks with him will remain fond memories.

“We hope and would be very happy if there is another opportunity in the future to involve Boris Becker in the association.”

Klaus Eberhard, DTB’s Sports Director added: “Of course we regret this decision, but we also fully understand it.

“With his great expertise and personality, Boris has set a lot of impulses at all levels in competitive sports.”

It is reported by the Mail Online that Becker has been flouting lockdown regulations by travelling to Dubai and not self-isolating on his return, plus he has made a trip to Dublin, and dined at a London restaurant where he stayed for 2 hours despite regulations stating only takeaways are allowed.

He was also seen entering the restaurant without a mask on.


Boris Becker leaving Westminster Magistrates court in central London after being declared bankrupt and accused of not complying with obligations to disclose information on 24 September, 2020

©Tolga Akmen/AFP via Getty Images




Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.