NEW

Nadal avenges Madrid loss

Up to the quarter-final stage of the Rome Masters, Rafa Nadal could be said to have had a fairly torrid time and when he faced Alexander Zverev for a place in the last four, many expected the German, last week’s Madrid Masters winner, to maintain his winning form over...

Pliskova to meet Ostapenko in Rome quarters

Karolina Pliskova is the sole seed in the lower half of the draw and takes on Jelena Ostapenko, the 2017 French Open champion, in the quarter-finals of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, while Petra Martic and Jessica Pegula will contest the last quarter on Friday.

Barty cruises, Gauff stuns Sabalenka and Svitolina swats Muguruza

World No 1 Ash Barty remains on track to add the Rome title to her expanding collection but must overcome Coco Gauff in the quarter-finals, who upset Aryna Sabalenka, the Madrid champion, at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia on Thursday, while Elina Svitolina took out...

Nadal one point from defeat

Rafa Nadal’s invincibility on clay is being tested more regularly than you would expect and makes his forthcoming challenge at Roland Garros in a few weeks’ time, the more intriguing.

Jo Konta and Venus Williams enter Nottingham

British No 1 Johanna Konta and 10-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams will headline this year’s Nottingham Open field, the first of the returning LTA summer grass court events.

Osaka leads march of seeds out of Rome

On a day of major upsets at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia, the underdogs prevailed, seeing off seeds Naomi Osaka, Simona Halep, Sofia Kenin, Serena Williams, Petra Kvitova, and Maria Sakkari in a procession of upsets at the Foro Italico in Rome.

Nadal back on track

Rafa Nadal, playing his first match at the Foro Italico following his quarter-final loss to Alexander Zverev at last week’s Madrid Masters, declared himself happy with his performance in overcoming Jannik Sinner in straight sets, but not so with the scheduling by the...

Konta follows Bencic and Mertens out of Rome

Seeds started to tumble at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome, with Belinda Bencic and Elise Mertens followed out of the draw by Jo Konta, while Garbiñe Muguruza and Angelique Kerber were among those to win through on Tuesday.

Kvitova, Brady, Swiatek and Sakkari open Rome accounts

The Internazionali BNL d’Italia got under way at the Foro Italico in Rome on Monday, with some of the seeds in action and coming through unscathed, although Petra Kvitova had to come from a set down against Magda Linette to advance, while Jennifer Brady won in...

Evans crashes out of Rome

Dan Evans excellent run on clay over the past few weeks came to an end in the first round of the Rome Masters when h suffered a very-bad tempered loss to Taylor Fritz.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Bernades taken to Melbourne hospital

Brazil’s professional umpire Carlos Bernardes suffered a heart attack In his Melbourne quarantine hotel room and was rushed to hospital on Wednesday, where he is said to be ‘doing well’.

It was a heart attack, the veins was clogged. But he was medicated and he spent a few hours in the hospital taking medication. We spoke several times yesterday afternoon and evening [Wednesday, Australian time]. Now, in the morning [Thursday], I haven’t talked to him yet. But he was well and medicated. Ricardo Reis

Bernardes was staying in one of the official hotels currently being used to quarantine players and support people arriving from overseas in Melbourne.

A picture of Bernardes being taken to hospital in an ambulance was posted on social media but there has been no official statement from local authorities on the situation.

Australian media reported that Bernardes was in ‘hard lockdown’, the system used for those classed as potential contact cases of people who have test positive for COVID-19.

At present there are 72 players in hard lockdown after a series of charter flights to Australia reported positive tests.

While they are not allowed to leave their room for 14 days under government regulations, other AUstralian Open participants from abroad are allowed to leave their rooms for up to 5 hours each day to train, providing they remain within the strict ‘bubbles’ in place.

According to Brazilian tennis official Ricardo Reis, Bernardes has experienced no complications from his heart attack and he is receiving continued medical treatment.

Reis issued details concerning Bernardes’ condition in a statement published by Tenis Brasil: “He had a heart attack in the morning. We are at the same hotel.

“When I saw the ambulance arrive, I even sent him a photo saying that someone was not well, and he said: ‘I was the one who called. I am in pain. In the chest and such’. Luckily he called quickly and the service came too.

“It was a heart attack, the veins was clogged. But he was medicated and he spent a few hours in the hospital taking medication.

“We spoke several times yesterday afternoon and evening [Wednesday, Australian time].

”Now, in the morning [Thursday], I haven’t talked to him yet. But he was well and medicated. They were going to put on a stent, but he didn’t have to. They had the veins unblocked and etc. And he was fine.

“In the afternoon and at night he was fine, we talked in the afternoon and at night and everything was fine.“

Bernardes was seen by doctors on the spot and then was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and is said to have no complications.

A veteran Tour official after having worked on the ATP Tour since 1990, Bernardes has taken charge of numerous high-profile men’s matches, including two US Open finals in 2006 and 2008, as well as the 2011 Wimbledon final.


Paula Badosa has been moved to a 'health hotel' after showing COVID symptoms and testing positive for the virus in Melbourne

© Anne-Christine Poujoulat/AFP via Getty Images

Meanwhile, Paula Badosa posted on social media that she has tested positive for Covid-19.

The Spaniard has been quarantining in Melbourne under the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine rule after a couple of co-passengers in her flight to Melbourne had tested positive for the virus on their arrival in the city.

Badosa has been moved to a different hotel to recuperate where she will be under close observation.

“I have some bad news,” the World No 67 posted on Thursday. “Today, I received a positive Covid-19 test result.

“I’m feeling unwell and have some symptoms, but I’ll try to recover as soon as possible listening to the doctors.

“I have been taken to a health hotel to self-isolate and be monitored. Thanks for your support. We’ll be back stronger.”

Badosa is the first player to have contracted Covid-19, although earlier reports state that two players have tested positive but it later emerged that these results were on account of virus shedding.


A cleaner leaves the court after preparing it for the next group of players for a practice session in Melbourne

© William West/AFP via Getty Images



Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.