The regular season of the 2021 WTT Finals Presented by Guaranteed Rate was completed on Saturday with a surprise win by Orange County Breakers over Springfield Lasers in their league re-match, their first of the season.
The Lasers had already clinched the No 1 seeding for Sunday’s final, but Orange County grabbed the upper-hand in the preview, claiming 4 out of 5 sets to collect a 9-point win over Springfield.
Austin Krajicek & Desirae Krawczyk, who capped off her third Major mixed doubles title with the US Open championship earlier this year, defeated US Open mixed doubles finalists Marcelo Arevalo & Giuliana Olmos in the final set that allowed Orange County to end the regular season in victory.
It was the Breakers first win over Springfield this season, with the Lasers winning the series, 2-1.
New York Empire, last years WTT champions, came out of the gates strongly against the San Diego Aviators, coached by Britain’s John Lloyd, with a win in men’s doubles, and Kirsten Flipkens secured a victory in women’s singles, only dropping one game in the process.
San Diego, however, responded with 2 tie-break wins in the mixed doubles and women’s doubles to cut New York’s deficit 18-15 heading into the final set.
Although the Aviators’ Aleks Vukic forced a tiebreak in the men’s singles, the 2014 NCAA singles champion from UCLA Marcos Giron finished it off for New York with his victory, and the Empire clinched the season series, 2-1, ending with a 4-8 record at the foot of the table.
San Diego finished the season with a 5-7 record in 3rd place in the standings, just off the pace.
The Springfield Lasers look to capture their 3rd WTT championship in the last 4 years against the Orange County Breakers on Sunday at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, while the Breakers seek their first title since 2017, and their 3d in franchise history.
Results – Saturday 27 November
Orange County Breakers 23, Springfield Lasers 14
- Men’s Singles: Steve Johnson (Breakers) def. Denis Kudla (Lasers) 5-2
- Women’s Singles: Tatjana Maria (Breakers) def. Giuliana Olmos (Lasers) 5-3
- Men’s Doubles: Steve Johnson/Austin Krajicek (Breakers) def. Marcelo Arevalo/Denis Kudla (Lasers) 5-2
- Women’s Doubles: Asia Muhammad/Giuliana Olmos (Lasers) def. Desirae Krawczyk/Tatjana Maria (Breakers) 5-3
- Mixed Doubles: Austin Krajicek/Desirae Krawczyk (Breakers) def. Marcelo Arevalo/Giuliana Olmos (Lasers) 5-2
New York Empire 23, San Diego Aviators 19
- Men’s Doubles: Chris Eubanks/Marcos Giron (Empire) def. Will Blumberg/Aleks Vukic (Aviators) 5-4
- Women’s Singles: Kirsten Flipkens (Empire) def. Caroline Dolehide (Aviators) 5-1
- Mixed Doubles: Will Blumberg/CoCo Vandeweghe (Aviators) def. Chris Eubanks/Quinn Gleason (Empire) 5-4
- Women’s Doubles: Caroline Dolehide/CoCo Vandweghe (Aviators) def. Kirsten Flipkens/Quinn Gleason (Empire) 5-4
- Men’s Singles: Marcos Giron (Empire) def. Aleks Vukic (Aviators) 5-4