fbpx

Select Page

Cincinnati | Murray confirms singles return

Cincinnati | Murray confirms singles return

The news that British tennis fans have been waiting for was confirmed yesterday when Andy Murray revealed, via his Facebook page, that he would be making his return to singles play at Cincinnati next week.

That feeling when you accept a wildcard for the singles in Cinci... #LetsDoThis #HereWeGo. Andy Murray

This news comes seven months after having right hip surgery from which there ere no guarantees that he would recover sufficiently to resume his career on the court.

He announced his decision by posting a photo of himself telling with a clenched fist and caption: “That feeling when you accept a wildcard for the singles in Cinci… #LetsDoThis #HereWeGo.”

Ranked 325, the 32-year-old Scot will face Richard Gasquet in his first match back. He actually leads the Frenchman 8-3 and will hope to extend that and should he, Murray will face the fourth seeded Dominic Thiem.

“Good news for the sport,” Spain’s Rafael Nadal said of Murray’s return to singles. “Especially great news for him. That means that he’s healthy.

“That’s going to be a big, big moment for him,” Nadal told reporters in Montreal. “After all the retirement that he predicted in Australia … six months later seems like he’s back again, healthy, competing well.”

Murray has played doubles in recent weeks while practicing his singles in a bid to regain his fitness in time to play at Cincinnati as preparation for this year’s final Grand Slam event that starts in New York on August 26.

Murray and his brother Jamie played doubles together for the first time since the 2016 Rio Olympics in Washington last week, losing in the quarter-finals.






Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.