NEW

Nadal avenges Madrid loss

Up to the quarter-final stage of the Rome Masters, Rafa Nadal could be said to have had a fairly torrid time and when he faced Alexander Zverev for a place in the last four, many expected the German, last week’s Madrid Masters winner, to maintain his winning form over...

Pliskova to meet Ostapenko in Rome quarters

Karolina Pliskova is the sole seed in the lower half of the draw and takes on Jelena Ostapenko, the 2017 French Open champion, in the quarter-finals of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, while Petra Martic and Jessica Pegula will contest the last quarter on Friday.

Barty cruises, Gauff stuns Sabalenka and Svitolina swats Muguruza

World No 1 Ash Barty remains on track to add the Rome title to her expanding collection but must overcome Coco Gauff in the quarter-finals, who upset Aryna Sabalenka, the Madrid champion, at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia on Thursday, while Elina Svitolina took out...

Nadal one point from defeat

Rafa Nadal’s invincibility on clay is being tested more regularly than you would expect and makes his forthcoming challenge at Roland Garros in a few weeks’ time, the more intriguing.

Jo Konta and Venus Williams enter Nottingham

British No 1 Johanna Konta and 10-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams will headline this year’s Nottingham Open field, the first of the returning LTA summer grass court events.

Osaka leads march of seeds out of Rome

On a day of major upsets at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia, the underdogs prevailed, seeing off seeds Naomi Osaka, Simona Halep, Sofia Kenin, Serena Williams, Petra Kvitova, and Maria Sakkari in a procession of upsets at the Foro Italico in Rome.

Nadal back on track

Rafa Nadal, playing his first match at the Foro Italico following his quarter-final loss to Alexander Zverev at last week’s Madrid Masters, declared himself happy with his performance in overcoming Jannik Sinner in straight sets, but not so with the scheduling by the...

Konta follows Bencic and Mertens out of Rome

Seeds started to tumble at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome, with Belinda Bencic and Elise Mertens followed out of the draw by Jo Konta, while Garbiñe Muguruza and Angelique Kerber were among those to win through on Tuesday.

Kvitova, Brady, Swiatek and Sakkari open Rome accounts

The Internazionali BNL d’Italia got under way at the Foro Italico in Rome on Monday, with some of the seeds in action and coming through unscathed, although Petra Kvitova had to come from a set down against Magda Linette to advance, while Jennifer Brady won in...

Evans crashes out of Rome

Dan Evans excellent run on clay over the past few weeks came to an end in the first round of the Rome Masters when h suffered a very-bad tempered loss to Taylor Fritz.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Korda dashes Norrie’s hopes to take on Hurcacz for title

Sebastian Korda has reached the final of the Delray Beach Open by Vitacost.com at the expense of Cameron Norrie, defeating the British No.3 in straight sets to reach his first final at an ATP Tour event.

I’m fired up right now, I couldn’t be happier Sebastian Korda

The 21-year-old American, son of the Czech Australian Open champion Petr Korda, required just 90-minutes to deliver the 6-3 7-5 defeat on the Briton ranked 45 places higher on the world standings.

The unseeded Korda was never under any threat throughout though Norrie, also unseeded, did make a slight recovery towards the end of the second set when he saved two match points in the tenth game to level at 5-all but couldn’t prevent the young American from progressing into the final two games later.

“I’m fired up right now, I couldn’t be happier,” Korda said during his on-court interview.

“[Norrie] has a super tricky game. His backhand cross is world class, and his forehand once he gets it rolling cross court is hard to defend. I’m super happy with the way I stayed aggressive and played the whole match,” he added.


Hubert Hurkacz reaches the second ATP final of his career

Mark Brown/Getty Images

Korda will have to get past the fourth seed, Hubert Hurkacz if he is to as leave Delray Beach as champion, the Pole having terminated the qualifier Christian Harrison’s fairy tale run to the semi-finals 7-6(4) 6-4.

“Christian was playing very well,” Hurkacz said. “He was serving tricky. He was slicing and kicking and then placing the ball really well. So I was struggling with that, especially the first set.”


Christian Harrison questions the wearing of masks at TV interviews

Mark Brown/Getty Images

Harrison, aged 26 and ranked 789, was making his first semi-final appearance having been hindered over the past decade with a series of injuries requiring eight separate surgeries while Hurcacz, who will turn 24 in February, will be contesting his second tour final.

“It’s a great start to the year,” Hurkacz, world ranked 35, said. “I’m looking forward to playing the final.

“Very happy to win this match today, I mean, Christian played pretty amazing throughout the whole tournament.

“He qualified here and had his best results on the ATP Tour. Especially after all he came through, all the surgeries, it’s really great for him. He played a really amazing match.”

Harrison’s loss came on the day he was also fined $3,000 for not wearing a mask when attending a compulsory on-court interview following his quarter-final victory.

Last week he had questioned the wearing of masks on social media, saying: “Healthy enough to play 3 hour matches. But I’m an absolute safety hazard walking maskless through a restaurant.”

Following his interview he posted on Instagram that he was not aware it was mandatory to wear one for TV interviews.

He added that the ATP supervisor had told him that the fine would be rescinded if he appealed and promised to follow tournament rules even if he did not agree with them.

“After my 2nd rd match I chose not to do my post match interview due to wearing a mask. It’s not healthy to wear a mask in the hot sun for more time than absolutely necessary after a tough match. I was given the impression it was optional. I wasn’t told I would be fined,” Harrison explained.

“That night I was told it is a requirement for TV matches and I would be fined. When I spoke to the supervisor the following morning, I was told since I wasn’t notified that it was mandatory, I could appeal the fine and it would be taken away. Unless something changes now, I still believe that to be true.

“I was required to do a sit-down interview after the match with the same person which I agreed to and I did not have to wear a mask for it. It’s not about safety to wear mask for TV to talk to a microphone with no one around.

“Playing the tournaments I’ll follow whatever is required even if I don’t agree with it. I don’t support masking people for the sake of it for TV.”




Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.