Wimbledon’s Chief Executive Richard Lewis, who is set to retire from the post in July, hopes that tennis will be back in action with the American hardcourt swing, though the likelihood of the Tours being cancelled for the year remains.
The optimist in me - and I am often not optimistic - still hopes the American hard-court season, the big tournaments, the Masters and the Premiers, will take place: Montreal, Toronto and then Cincinnati. But we all know that’s probably tenuous at the moment. Richard Lewis
“I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say that there may be no more tennis this year,” he told the Guardian. “But I would like to think that things will settle down so that tournaments can be played sooner rather than later. Who knows what will happen?”
Currently both the ATP and WTA have set July 13 as being the earliest for the return of play following the cancellation of both the clay courts and grass court seasons caused by the onset of the coronavirus pandemic.
Currently the French Open remains on the calendar having been postponed to September, one week after the US Open.
“Let’s hope the US Open and Roland Garros can take place,” he added.
“The optimist in me – and I am often not optimistic – still hopes the American hard-court season, the big tournaments, the Masters and the Premiers, will take place: Montreal, Toronto and then Cincinnati.
“But we all know that’s probably tenuous at the moment.”
Earlier on Thursday, the president of the Spanish tennis federation (RFET), Miguel Diaz, said he hoped the sport could return to the courts “in the last quarter of the year”.
“I think that in the last quarter of the season we will be able to see tennis again, we don’t know if it will be with fans in attendance or without, but I think our sport will return to the courts,” Diaz said in a statement released by RFET.
Commenting on Wimbledon’s cancellation, he added that it was a logical decision and that “Now tennis becomes secondary. What is needed is to heal.”