fbpx

Select Page

London | Nadal pulls out of Queen’s

London | Nadal pulls out of Queen’s
Getty Images

Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week’s Wimbledon warm-up event at Queen’s Club as the world number one takes a break following his triumph at Roland Garros last weekend.

Nadal crushed Dominic Thiem to clinch his 11th French Open title on Sunday, but the Spaniard hinted after the final that the toll on his body might force him to miss part of the grass-court campaign.

We are obviously disappointed that Rafa has decided that he is unable to play this year, but we wish him well and hope to see him on our courts in the future Stephen Farrow

The 32-year-old is drained after playing 27 matches on clay over the last two months and, after consulting with his medical team, he confirmed on Wednesday that he won’t play at Queens this year.

“Queen’s is a great event, I have happy memories of winning the title in 2008 and I wanted to come back this year. But it has been a very long clay court season for me with great results,” Nadal said in a statement released by tournament organisers.

“I would like to say sorry to the tournament organisers and most of all to the fans that were hoping to see me play, but I have spoken to my doctors and I need to listen to what my body is telling me.”

It is the third consecutive year Nadal has entered the tournament only to pull out before it has started.

“We are obviously disappointed that Rafa has decided that he is unable to play this year, but we wish him well and hope to see him on our courts in the future,” said tournament director Stephen Farrow.







About The Author

Henry Wancke

Henry Wancke is one of the most respected Tennis writers in the UK. Henry is the Editor of both Tennis Threads Magazine and tennisthreads.net. He previously worked as Editor of Tennis World, Serve & Volley as well as Tennis Today magazines and been stringer for The Daily Telegraph, The Guardian and Press Association. He also co-authored the Ultimate Encyclopaedia of Tennis with John Parsons published by Carlton, and the Federation Cup – the first 32 years, published by the ITF. Currently he is the Secretary of the Lawn Tennis Writers’ Association and Hon Vice President of the Tennis Industry Association UK.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

TENNIS MAGAZINE

Tennis Threads is the newest and now the only printed Tennis magazine in the UK. Packed with exclusive news and reports from some of the most respected Tennis journalists in the UK. Read about your favourite players including Andy Murray, Jo Konta, Heather Watson and Kyle Edmund. Purchase a 12-month subscription today and receive 25% off the cover price.
Please specify when you would like your subscription to start.

0
Your Basket