fbpx

Select Page

London | Shevedova and Tomic in isolation due to coronavirus

London | Shevedova and Tomic in isolation due to coronavirus

The first two players to be isolated due to coronavirus, Yaroslava Shvedova and Bernard Tomic, believe they could have been exposed to COVID-19 through travel.

Hello from quarantine! Many in Kazakhstan have probably heard about the flight from Moscow to Nur Sultan on March 12, that there was a passenger on that flight, flying from Milan, who had a coronavirus. So, I was on that flight. Yaroslava Shvedova

Shvedova, the playing captain of the Kazakhstan Fed Cup team, is currently in quarantine at the Nur-Sultan hospital after flying home on a flight with a woman infected with coronavirus.

She posted a photo from the hospital on Instagram, writing: “Hello from quarantine! Many in Kazakhstan have probably heard about the flight from Moscow to Nur Sultan on March 12, that there was a passenger on that flight, flying from Milan, who had a coronavirus. So, I was on that flight.”

Shvedova, who travelled from the United States, added: “After arrival, I was placed in stationary quarantine, like all the passengers of that flight.”

The woman on the Milan-Moscow-Nur-Sultan flight that arrived on 12 March became the third coronavirus infected in Kazakhstan.

She was one of 90 people on board the plane, including Shvedova, who was appointed captain of the Kazakhstan national team in February while she is still playing on the tour.

According to the Ministry of Health, the total number of cases in Kazakhstan on 15 March had reached 8 people, with 6 in Almaty and 2 in Nur-Sultan.


Bernard Tomic

© Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

Meanwhile, Bernard Tomic has placed himself into self isolation in Miami after showing symptoms of coronavirus.

The 27-year-old says he locked himself away in Miami after feeling sick last week, telling The Herald Sun he had ‘all the symptoms’ of the global COVID-19 virus that has brought sport to its knees.

Tomic, who earlier this month competed in the ATP Challenger Tour event in Monterrey, Mexico, before travelling back to the United States for the Miami Open, which was cancelled by the ATP Tour last week, believes he caught the virus while travelling.

“Since Tuesday, started feeling not right,” Tomic said. “I already had shortness of breath and my immune system was low and run down.

“I’m currently in Miami and isolated away from everyone, as advised.

“I’m yet to be tested for it (COVID-19) but I have all the symptoms.

“I reckon I got it travelling from Mexico to Monterrey last week.

“People need to take this super seriously, especially at home in Australia.

“I don’t know how long I’ll be in isolation or when I can be tested.”

The ATP Tour announced last week it was suspending the men’s tennis tour for six weeks ‘due to escalating health and safety issues’ arising from the coronavirus pandemic.

All events on the ATP Tour and second-tier ATP Challenger Tour are cancelled until 27 April.

The announcement came shortly after the cancellation of the Miami Open, which followed the axing of Indian Wells and postponement of the Fed Cup finals.

The joint ATP and WTA tournament in Miami, one of the biggest to be held outside the four Grand Slams, had been due to start with qualifying on 23 March until the mayor of Miami-Dade County pulled the plug.

The WTA, however, after cancelling tournaments in Charleston, Guadalajara and Bogota, opted to take more time to make informed decisions amid the coronavirus pandemic about its European events, saying: “The WTA has an obligation to its members (both players and tournaments) to provide playing opportunities and we feel it’s best if we can offer a bit more time to see if such playing opportunities can take place,” a WTA spokeswoman said on Saturday.

“We are in very active communications with the European clay-court events and the grass-court events.

“We believe it is prudent and respectful to move rapidly but at the same time to not simply react, to take the necessary time to look at and evaluate the European swing in the week ahead and have the proper conversations with our tournaments and players before making that decision.

“We expect to make our decision in the week ahead.”

The next WTA tournaments are due to start on 20 April in Stuttgart and Istanbul, marking the beginning of the European clay court season.





Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.