NEW

Muguruza downs Konta to face Azarenka

On a day of attrition and compassion in Rome, Friday’s play at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia saw Johanna Konta fall to Garbiñe Muguruza, Victoria Azarenka comfort an injured Daria Kasatkina after a nasty tumble, and top seeds Simona Halep and Karolina Plíšková...

Nadal not obsessed with records

The two tournament favourites draw closer to settling this year’s Rome Masters 1000 title as they successfully reached the last eight on opposing sides of the draw with the second seeded Rafa Nadal seemingly having the easier passage so far.

Musetti continues his Roman run

At four-all in the second set the lights went out during the Italian Open which could have disrupted the concentration of Italy’s emerging starlet, the 18-year-old Lorenzo Musetti, who was on his way to eliminating another top player from the Rome Masters listings.

ATP and WTA Kremlin Cup tournaments cancelled

The ATP and WTA jointly announced on Friday that the 2020 Kremlin Cup tournaments in Moscow have been cancelled by a mandate from health officials in the Russian capital, where there has been a surge in coronavirus infections.

Osaka withdraws from Paris, fans reduced

Japan’s Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the upcoming French Open with a hamstring injury, while the FFT is reducing the number of fans that will be allowed to attend Roland Garros due to the worsening coronavirus situation in the country.

On the day of the Bagel 

Bagels are pretty rare in pro tennis but in Rome on Thursday, Johanna Konta and Victoria Azarenka scored three between them - Konta taking one against clay-court specialist Irina-Camelia Begu, 6-0 6-4, while just five days after losing the US Open final, Azarenka...

Battling mental health issues to return to the court

In a short film released this week, the LTA follows 38-year-old tennis player Steven McCann from North London, as he shares his inspirational story of battling addiction to reignite his love and passion for the sport. The feature brings to life Steven’s journey to...

Fans to return in Paris

No one at the beginning of this Covid year could have predicted that we here at Tennis Threads would be writing the French Open in September, just a couple of weeks after the US Open had concluded!

Fed Cup rebrands as the Billie Jean King Cup

Tying in with the 50th Anniversary of the Fed Cup, the women’s team competition has been re-named the Billie Jean King Cup by the ITF, it was announced at a virtual press conference on Thursday.

Halep and Plíšková start Rome campaigns

Top seed Simona Halep overcame an early scare as she was broken 5 times by local wildcard Jasime Paolini in her opening match of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, but moved into the second round smoothly enough, 6-3 6-4, on Wednesday, while No 2 seed Karolina Plíšková...
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Struff allowed back on court in Germany

While pro tennis players remain grounded around the world, Germany’s Jan-Lennard Struff claims that he has received special permission from local government to train two or three times a week on court despite the coronavirus crisis.

I can understand that such exemptions for athletes are viewed critically by the rest of the population in the current situation, but it’s also my job, and we have strict requirements. Jan-Lennard Struff

Struff, who is based in North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany, has made the case that it is essential to his job that he is allowed to train and remain fit for when the ATP Tour resumes following the COVID-19 lockdowns around the globe.

“[Playing two or three times] is enough,” Struff told Sueddeutsche Zeitung. “It’s the small steps that feel right in these times.

“I can understand that such exemptions for athletes are viewed critically by the rest of the population in the current situation, but it’s also my job, and we have strict requirements.”

Struff, the World No 34, says he is not currently worried about the financial hit he may take due to the coronavirus crisis, but admits he is worried for lower-ranked players.

“From a position in the world rankings of 100 or maybe 150, it will probably be problematic,” he said.

“These players will first have to do without travelling with their coaches and physiotherapists.

“A cycle will be set in motion, and many will fall by the wayside.”

Spain’s Pablo Carreno-Busta agrees, the former World No 10, who has dropped to 25 in the rankings, saying that while he is not experiencing financial difficulties at present, he knows of lower-ranked players who are already in trouble.

“I currently have no money problems because I managed to earn enough, but I know tennis players who are living off their parents’ money,” he said.

“We are not able to work at the moment, so incomes are zero and expenses keep coming. Mortgages, paying physical trainers and technical staff, the gym where I train… It’s very complicated.

“We live in a society where athletes are seen as privileged, with large and luxurious houses, but there are also other tennis players who do not have the same possibilities and who do not receive money that are very bad.”

The 28 year old added that he thinks the suspension of the tour will be extended to beyond the current date of 13 July.

“We hope that this situation will continue for the shortest possible time because recovering to the level we were at will be very complicated.

“We currently don’t have tennis until July 13, but I think the deadline will be extended,” he said.

“It would be good if they discovered a vaccine so that the circuit can resume later this year but I think we will not be able to play.”

The Spaniard has won 4 ATP titles in his career and earned himself more than $9 million in career prize money.






Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.