NEW

Thiem targets Olympics

Dominic Thiem at 27-years of age, has decided to include the Tokyo Olympics in his 2021 schedule having opted out of representing Austria at the last two Games

Khachanov latest to test positive

If we needed any reminder about how prevalent the coronavirus remains around the world, we need look no further than Russia’s Karen Khachanov, who is the latest player to announce he has tested positive for COVID-19 after flying to the United Arab Emirates for...

Training to be allowed as ATP Cup abandoned

The government of Victoria state have reportedly acquiesced and granted permission for players to train during their 14-day quarantine to prepare for the Australian Open, the first grand slam of next season scheduled to kick off on the 18th January

Madrid to become a two-week joint event

Next year’s Madrid Open, which is a joint ATP and WTA event, will become a two-week event and is scheduled from 27 April to 9 May, 2021.

Tennis still waits for AO decisions

Following weeks of discuss, it now seems likely that the Australian Open will be delayed by a week or two from its scheduled start date of 18 January, according to the Sports Minister for Victoria.

Becker leaves German Tennis

Six-time Grand Slam champion Boris Becker has decided to leave his post at the German Tennis Federation at the end of the year because he says he no longer has the time to fulfil his role there.

Konta reunites with Zavialoff

Britain’s No 1, Johanna Konta, has reunited with her former coach Dimitri Zavialoff ahead of the 2021 season after a brief trial with Thomas Hogstedt in the summer and ending her curtailed 2020 campaign with just her hitting partner, Dan Smethurst.

Murray calls for players to be vaccinated

Tennis Australia is still struggling to get agreement on Covid-19 safety regulations for the first grand slam of the 2021 season which is due to start January 18.

Obituary – David N. Dinkins

New York’s first African-American Mayor and a benefactor for tennis died on 23 November at the age of 93.

Medvedev makes a clean sweep at the final O2

Daniil Medvedev has earned the biggest title of his career by winning the Nitto ATP Finals at the O2 and hopes it will serve as a springboard to greater things over the next few years, as he attempts to follow his beaten rival to a Grand Slam triumph.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Pique raises Davis Cup doubts, as does the Aussie Open

Gerard Pique is now pessimistic about the Davis Cup Finals which is due to be played out in Madrid next November.

I would say I am a bit pessimistic, because a Davis Cup without fans is difficult Gerard Pique

Speaking on behalf of the investment group Kosmos who signed a 25-year deal worth $3 billion with the ITF to revamp the Davis Cup as of last year, he now fears the possible cancellation of the 2020 event scheduled for the 23-29th November, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.

“There is a lot of uncertainty, we try to be aware of what the government says regarding sports and to whether we can put spectators inside the Caja Magica,” Pique told Movistar television.

“I would say I am a bit pessimistic, because a Davis Cup without fans is difficult.

“I think that nobody at the moment has the certainty that we can put fans in or if it will have to be behind closed doors. As the days go by, I suppose we will have a little more clarity.”

Spain has been one of the worst affected countries and while it is currently implementing a four-stage plan to relax the confinement rules the government implemented last March, they are not sufficient enough to provide much hope for the Davis Cup.

Currently the plans will only allow 400 people to congregate for open-air events with just 50 being granted access to one indoors.

Currently all professional tennis events are suspended awaiting a review by the governing bodies on July 13.

The US Open is still being scheduled as planned for September as is the French Open which was postponed from May to late September or possible early October.

Doubts though still remain as to whether the two grand slams can be played, even behind closed doors, and those doubts now even extend to the Australian Open in January.

Despite being eight-months away, Tennis Australia are concerned at what restrictions might still be in place to limit travel, etc.

“We’ve certainly made no secret about the number of scenarios that we’re looking at,” a TA spokeswoman told AFP. “We’re hoping for the best but planning for everything.”

Possibilities range from cancellation to imposing quarantine on overseas players and allowing only Australian fans into the event.

“We have to look at all the angles because a lot of the decisions will be beyond our control and related to government guidelines and restrictions,” she said.

“We do need to have all the protocols in place to ensure everyone’s safety.”






Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.