Mallorca | Nadal’s treatment starts

Rafa Nadal has received his first tranche of radiofrequency treatment to his injured left foot as he attempts to get fit for Wimbledon.

We don't rule out a second treatment being carried out in the next week. Nadal's spokesman

The 36-year-old, fresh from winning his record-setting 14th French Open title, was spotted earlier this week getting out of a car on crutches but still managed to stop and sign autographs for fans and attend a graduation ceremony at his Academy in Manacor on Wednesday.

As revealed on Sunday following his triumph in Roland Garros, he had played the whole fortnight battling with a foot problem which he dealt with by taking pain killing injections prior to every match.

Nadal said at the time that he could not continue in the same way and basically, needed an alternative answer for a problem which has been identified as Mueller-Weiss syndrome, a rare degenerative condition that causes chronic pain.

“Rafa is already at home [in Mallorca] and will spend three or four days doing normal, maintaining, physical activity,” a spokesman told the AFP news agency.

“Depending on the effect of the treatment, and as long as it’s positive, he will later return to training on the court.”

But he then added: “We don’t rule out a second treatment being carried out in the next week.”

It is an issue he has had to deal with for years and at the Italian Open last month it flared up, leaving him hobbling and grimacing during his loss to Denis Shapovalov.

Asked about his chances of playing at Wimbledon, which starts on June 27, Nadal said: “I will be there if my body allows it. Wimbledon is a priority, the Grand Slams are a priority.

“Playing it with anti-inflammatories, Yes; with anaesthesia injections, No.”

Nadal is halfway to a Calendar Slam having also won this year’s Australian Open but completing what hasn’t been achieved since 1969, isn’t one of the Spaniard’s priorities.

“It’s crazy, even if I was in perfect shape I think,” he told the ATP web site.

“Nobody has done it since Rod Laver. Djokovic came closest last year. More than winning the Grand Slam, I would be content to play in all four.”

Meanwhile the ATP 250 events at Stuttgart and Rosmalen have lost a day’s play and, should the weather relent, be back in action today.


Rafael Nadal poses with the trophy after his victory over Casper Rudd last Sunday.

Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images




Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.