Montreal | Zverev upstages Federer
Alexander Zverev has reconfirmed his status as the player to succeed the old guard by winning his fifth title of the year, and on this occasion, outpowering Roger Federer in straight sets to collect the Canadian Masters 1000 title, the Rogers Cup in Montreal.
It's a wonderful achievement for him. I wish him the best for the coming months and hope he can finish the season very strong. I'm just really happy for him, to see that he's taking everything not just to the next level, but the two next levels Roger Federer
At no stage did the 36-year-old former world number one — who is close to regaining that position – look comfortable as his young adversary, aged 20, outpowered him throughout for his 68-minute, 6-3 6-4 victory.
The Swiss even looked to want to leave the court as he tried to win quick points and seemingly gave up chasing balls which in the main he would retrieve to keep a point going.
Zverev in the meantime never let up, keeping the pressure on throughout as he avenged his defeat in Halle in the only final he has lost this year.
“I tried to be aggressive as I can,” Zverev said. “If Roger starts being aggressive with his forehand and backhand then it is not going to be an easy day for me.”
Despite being a bit shell-shocked, Federer was full of praise for conqueror, saying: “It’s a wonderful achievement for him. I wish him the best for the coming months and hope he can finish the season very strong.
“I’m just really happy for him, to see that he’s taking everything not just to the next level, but the two next levels.”
Federer will now take stock having admitted that he felt aches and pains after a week on hardcourts following his break away since winning Wimbledon. He is scheduled to play Cincinnati but could well decide against it with the US Open just two weeks away.
“I felt all right all week. Had a bit of muscle pain, aches and pains here and there, just because it’s back on the match courts, on the hard courts,” Federer said. “After vacation and practice, it’s always a bit of a shock for the body. We’ll have to wait and see now how I feel in the next couple of days.
“I will take a decision in the next couple of days and see how I feel after five days of playing, if I’m ready to play in Cincy next week or not,” he added.
“Looking ahead to the US Open, obviously I want to be in the best possible shape. Winning my third of the year, my 20th Grand Slam, would be completely insane. I just hope I’m going to be 100 percent ready when the moment arises.”
Meanwhile Kei Nishikori becomes the latest player to pull out of the Cincinnati Masters joining world No1 Andy Murray, 12-time grand slam winner Novak Djokovic, US Open champion Stan Wawrinka and the defending champion Marin Cilic on the sidelines.
The 27-year-old, who had been seeded fifth and given a first-round bye, had flown to the host city before making the call to withdraw with a painful right wrist injury.
“Unfortunately I will not be able to play in Cincy,” Nishikori wrote on his official app. “Today (Sunday) during practice I felt a sharp pain in my right wrist and we are now visiting with the medical specialists to discuss the diagnosis. We will provide more details after we have more information.”
Andy Murray is set to lose his place as world No1 should Rafa Nadal or Roger Federer win the Cincinnati Open.