NEW

Sister defends Court

June Shanahan, Margaret Court’s sister, told Sydney radio station 2GB on Saturday that she was ‘disgusted’ at remarks made by Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews condemning the awarding of the Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) to the legendary player.

Murray will not be travelling down under

Andy Murray will not be competing at the season opening grand slam and admits he is ‘devastated’ to be missing the Australian Open after testing positive for Covid-19 12 days ago.

Laura Robson undergoes more surgery

Britain’s Laura Robson’s hopes of making a full on-court comeback took another downturn when she underwent a third hip surgery last week.

ATP Cup draw is made for Feb 1 kick-off

In eleven day’s time, the tennis news will switch from recalcitrant players discussing the problems they are facing during quarantine to actual action on the court. That will be a moment to celebrate as the game moves closer to the first grand slam of the season when...

Is Australia shooting itself in the foot?

Australia seems intent on shooting itself in the foot, as participants in the first Grand Slam of the year continue to draw criticism while fur flies over the funding of the quarantining of some 1,200 overseas visitors and Margaret Court is tipped to receive the...

Barty joins Adelaide exhibition

Ash Barty’s hopes of joining the elite group of players in Adelaide for an exhibition on 29 January have been fulfilled as the women’s World No 1 has been named to take part with Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Bernades taken to Melbourne hospital

Brazil’s professional umpire Carlos Bernardes suffered a heart attack In his Melbourne quarantine hotel room and was rushed to hospital on Wednesday, where he is said to be ‘doing well’.

ATP-WTA merger notion stalls

The newly-elected 2021-2022 ATP Player Council includes the return to duty of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, all of whom have supported the notion of merging the ATP and WTA Tours, but the proposal has since stalled.

Murray still negotiating

While the coronavirus problems grow in Melbourne and a minority of quarantined players grumble at the inconvenience of the safety measures imposed on them, British tennis fans await the news as to whether Andy Murray will be allowed to compete

ATP Calendar update

The ATP has announced additions to their 2021 calendar as they continue to fit in opportunities for players to compete during these challenging times which have thrown the traditional calendar into disarray.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Norrie joins Delray Beach semi-final line up

Both Cameron Norrie and Sebastian Korda knock out much higher ranked and seeded players to reach the semi-finals of the Delray Beach Open by Vitacost.com even.

He [Tiafoe] fought real hard, and I managed to get a little bit lucky in the third set there with a couple net-cords and a couple close calls,. Real fortunate to get through. Cameron Norrie

The British No.3, Norrie, upset the fourth seeded Frances Tiafoe 6-0 3-6 6-4 while Korda toppled the second seed John Isner 6-3 4-6 6-3 leaving only one seeded player in the last four, namely Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz (4) who dispatched the Ecuadorian qualifier Roberto Quiroz 6-4 6-4.

The final semi-final slot is filled by Christian Harrison, the wildcard who is the last home player standing at the opening event on American soil. He defeated Italian Gianluca Mager 7-6(2) 6-4.

Korda, ranked 119th in the world, booked his first ATP semi-final after one hour and 51-minutes.

“I was super-happy with how I played that whole game. I just stuck with it, I got a little bit more aggressive,” said the 20-year-old, who will play Britain’s Cameron Norrie for a place in the final.

For Norrie, ranked 74, it will be his third appearance at an ATP tournament as he chases his first title on the tour.

“He [Tiafoe] fought real hard, and I managed to get a little bit lucky in the third set there with a couple net-cords and a couple close calls,” Norrie said. “Real fortunate to get through.”

Meanwhile Christian Harrison’s run continued to surprise as he strode into the last four ranked 789, sustaining his remarkable second round victory over the top seed Cristian Garin, describing the week’s results were “pretty amazing.”

“I’m just happy that I have everyone here,” he said. “All my friends and family are here to support, especially here in Delray being so close to home.

“I’m feeling very good. I feel fresh, still. I think a couple days off in between helped,” Harrison, who is also playing the doubles with his older brother Ryan, added. “One of the days off we only had one doubles, which was probably a good recovery anyway. Looking forward to the semis tomorrow.”

On paper the 23-year-old Hurkacz becomes tournament favourite as, at 35, he is the highest ranked player left in the drab but as the results show, there is some strong opposition despite their lower rankings.

“Roberto is tricky to play against,” Hurkacz said after his most recent win. “He slices a lot of balls. I tried to stay competitive and stay in the first set. I’m happy with the win…hopefully I’ll play a great match tomorrow.”


John Isner leaves the court after losing to Sebastian Korda and announcing he was withdrawing from the Australian Open

Mark Brown/Getty Images

Isner though, following his loss, announced he was withdrawing from the Australian Open because of the quarantine restrictions being imposed by the Aussie authorities. “I’m not going this year,” he said. “I’m staying home”.

Isner, who fled Russia to avoid being quarantined with his family when he tested positive for the coronavirus, explained: “At this stage in my career and in my life, I’ve always had visions of being able to travel with my family, and of course that wouldn’t be the case for Australia this year – understandably so, I get it,”

The decision to withdraw was made at short notice.

“It really was just a situation where I didn’t want to be away from my family for that long, so I decided to stay home.”

“The whole tour is going to be in Australia for five weeks, but I made this decision last night. It wasn’t an easy decision at all, it wasn’t. I thought long and hard about it, but I feel comfortable with my decision right now and I am looking forward to getting home.”

There was also bad news at the Dha, Qatar Australian Open Qualifying tournament with two players testing positive for coronavirus. Denis Kudla of the US and Morocco’s Elliot Benchetrit have been placed in quarantine in Doha and been withdrawn from the event.





Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.