Paris | Nadal pulls out
The worst news tennis fans will have wanted to hear was announced on Friday afternoon when Rafa Nadal decided to withdraw from the Paris Masters only hours before he was due to play his quarter-final match. His sudden withdrawal with a knee injury also casts doubts on whether he will be making an appearance at the O2 in two weeks time
The world number one told a news conference ahead of his quarter-final against Serbian Filip Krajinovic that he was suffering from a right knee problem. Nadal added that he was going to try his best to be fit for the season-ending ATP Tour finals.
The Spaniard said he was not in condition to commit to another three matches and would try his best to be ready for the season-ending event in London, but confessed his focus is on long-term fitness.
“The way that I am today, I do not see myself playing three more matches,” Nadal told a media conference. “It’s a very hard decision, a tough and sad situation. I tried my best. I had treatment yesterday night (Thursday) but it’s impossible to go on court. Yesterday, for some moments I couldn’t move.”
“I’m going to try my best to be ready for London. For me, it’s not about London, it’s about the long term.”
Nadal secured the year-end number one ranking by winning his Paris opener against Chung Hyeon, but he was taken to three sets by Pablo Cuevas in the third round.
The 31-year-old pulled out of the Swiss Indoors last month due to a knee issue, which will be a concern given his long history of problems in that area.