NEW

No fireworks for Wimbledon

The 4th July, American Independence Day, is very different this year, and with no Championships at Wimbledon due to the coronavirus pandemic, there will be no fireworks and fans must get their tennis fix virtually.

Zverev could be banned

It has been asked on many an occasion over the past few weeks – what punishment will be handed down on those who break the Covid-19 safety regulations at a tournament?

US and French Opens to allow spectators

The decision by the USTA and FFT to allow a limited number of spectators to their respective events comes as a bit of a surprise bearing in mind the disastrous Adria Tour mini-series where the Covid-19 spiked followed the disregard of safety protocols.

Wimbledon strawberries for NHS birthday celebrations

Ahead of the NHS’s 72nd birthday celebrations, the AELTC is saying thank you with a donation of 200 punnets of Wimbledon strawberries per day to NHS staff and frontline workers in London.

The men play for Wimbledon’s pineapple

They make their appearances over the final weekend of The Championships and are highly prized - the five Wimbledon Trophies, one of which proudly displays an unlikely pineapple on the top - but, sadly, will not be on show this year.

Serbian Prime Minister, Gomez and Tipsarevic enter the debate

The fall out of the Adria Tour continues as many struggle to find someone to lay the blame on. In the main that someone is Novak Djokovic who led the campaign for this mini circuit and as it has been repeatedly said, his intentions were good and it had the backing of...

Watson joins Progress Tour Women’s Championships field

Heather Watson has accepted a wildcard and will compete alongside GB Fed Cup teammates Harriet Dart and Katie Boulter at next month’s £30,000 Progress Tour Women’s Championships at the National Tennis Centre.

Wimbledon’s green grass of home

The courts at Wimbledon are lush and green but absent are the world’s best players, who should be completing the first round of matches today had The Championships not been cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

It’s the ‘doughnut’ versus the ‘rat’

Nick Kyrgios and Boris Becker have got themselves embroiled in a major bust-up over Alexander Zverev’s recent escapade, namely caught on video partying after the cancellation of the Adria Tour which left a number of players and staff testing positive for the Covid-19...

Murray Trophy – Glasgow 2020 postponed

The Murray Trophy, an ATP Challenger tournament scheduled for 13-20 September at the Scotstoun Leisure Centre in Glasgow, has been postponed until 2021 due to the enforced suspension of professional tennis because of the Coronavirus pandemic, and the subsequent...
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Wheelchair tournament confirmed for Flushing Meadows

The US Open has reversed its decision not to include the wheelchair competition at this year’s US Open following a huge amount of criticism led by Australia’s multiple champion, Dylan Alcott who described the decision as ‘discriminatory’.

The decision of not allowing us to compete, without communication or consideration was bigger than tennis. In yrs gone by decisions would have been made for us and no one would have cared. You cannot be treated differently because of your gender, race, religion or disability. Dylan Alcott

Following various meetings and discussions with the ITF and the wheelchair athletes they have now confirmed it will take place and be included in the programme as in previous years.

In a statement shared by Alcott on Twitter, the US Open says it will bring the full wheelchair competition to the New York state starting on September 10, and include the men’s and women’s singles and doubles, and quads singles and doubles.

“The decision was made following multiple virtual meetings with a group of wheelchair athletes and the International Tennis Federation over the last week,” the statement read.

“Wheelchair athletes will follow the same health and safety procedures as all players participating in the US Open.”

Dylan was the first to praise the USTA for making a U-turn and the players and fans who raised their concerns at its absence, declaring that tennis community was making progress.

“The decision of not allowing us to compete, without communication or consideration was bigger than tennis. In yrs gone by decisions would have been made for us and no one would have cared. You cannot be treated differently because of your gender, race, religion or disability,” Dylan tweeted.

“This is a massive sign of progress for our community, and I appreciate all your help. I know there is a lot going on in the world at the moment, and the tournament might not even go ahead, but at least now we have the same rights as our able-bodied counterparts – like we deserve.”

The other changes at this year’s US Open remain and include no spectators, reducing the number of teams in the men’s and women’s doubles events by half and the elimination of the mixed doubles and juniors competitions.






Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.