NEW

Sister defends Court

June Shanahan, Margaret Court’s sister, told Sydney radio station 2GB on Saturday that she was ‘disgusted’ at remarks made by Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews condemning the awarding of the Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) to the legendary player.

Murray will not be travelling down under

Andy Murray will not be competing at the season opening grand slam and admits he is ‘devastated’ to be missing the Australian Open after testing positive for Covid-19 12 days ago.

Laura Robson undergoes more surgery

Britain’s Laura Robson’s hopes of making a full on-court comeback took another downturn when she underwent a third hip surgery last week.

ATP Cup draw is made for Feb 1 kick-off

In eleven day’s time, the tennis news will switch from recalcitrant players discussing the problems they are facing during quarantine to actual action on the court. That will be a moment to celebrate as the game moves closer to the first grand slam of the season when...

Is Australia shooting itself in the foot?

Australia seems intent on shooting itself in the foot, as participants in the first Grand Slam of the year continue to draw criticism while fur flies over the funding of the quarantining of some 1,200 overseas visitors and Margaret Court is tipped to receive the...

Barty joins Adelaide exhibition

Ash Barty’s hopes of joining the elite group of players in Adelaide for an exhibition on 29 January have been fulfilled as the women’s World No 1 has been named to take part with Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Bernades taken to Melbourne hospital

Brazil’s professional umpire Carlos Bernardes suffered a heart attack In his Melbourne quarantine hotel room and was rushed to hospital on Wednesday, where he is said to be ‘doing well’.

ATP-WTA merger notion stalls

The newly-elected 2021-2022 ATP Player Council includes the return to duty of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, all of whom have supported the notion of merging the ATP and WTA Tours, but the proposal has since stalled.

Murray still negotiating

While the coronavirus problems grow in Melbourne and a minority of quarantined players grumble at the inconvenience of the safety measures imposed on them, British tennis fans await the news as to whether Andy Murray will be allowed to compete

ATP Calendar update

The ATP has announced additions to their 2021 calendar as they continue to fit in opportunities for players to compete during these challenging times which have thrown the traditional calendar into disarray.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Wimbledon | Fognini bomb blast now faces lengthy ban

Italian hot-head Fabio Fognini is facing the prospect of being banned from the US and Australian Opens after claiming he wished a bomb would drop on Wimbledon.

For sure I was not happy about my performance today Fabio Fognini

Fognini, booted out of Flushing Meadows two years ago after calling a female umpire a ‘whore and a c***sucker’, was caught making his latest remarks during Saturday’s 6-3 7-6(12) 6-3 third round loss to Tennys Sandgren.

Upset about playing his match on Court 14, Fognini who also cut three of his knuckles after punching the strings on his racket, said during the match in Italian: “Is it fair to play here?

“Damned English, damned really. Wish a bomb would explode on this club – a bomb should explode here.”

At Wimbledon two years ago, Australian Bernard Tomic was fined $US15,000 for claiming he was ‘a little bit bored’ during his first-round defeat to Mischa Zverev.

So, already on probation, Fognini is almost certain to face a more serious sanction for his attack on the All England Club.

The 32-year-old offered up a half-hearted apology after the match but refused to comment on the possibility of punishment.

“Most of the time when you’re on the court, you’re frustrated,” Fognini said. “For sure I was not happy about my performance today.

“Something happen on the court, if I feel sorry for somebody, I have to say sorry.”

Following his US Open outburst in September 2017, the World No 10 was handed a $US96,000 fine by the Grand Slam Board, half of which was suspended for two years, in addition to a two-slam ban.

That punishment would be enforced if the Board deem his latest outburst to a major offence.

 






Previous

Next

6 Comments

  1. Libby Foskett

    He’s a complete idiot and not a nice man.

    Reply
  2. Terry Wint

    Fabio at next year’s Wimbledon be like…

    Reply
  3. Mauline Akins

    So he should be, a completely unacceptable remark in these days of terrorism fears.

    Reply
  4. Lyn Thexton

    What is wrong with these young men?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.