NEW

Cornet apologises as Dojokovic is told ‘No’

France’s Alizé Cornet has apologised for the comments she made on social media about the ‘insane’ Australian Open quarantine arrangements, calling them tactless, while requests to ease restrictions by Novak Djokovic have been knocked back.

Players complaining in hard lockdown

Normally cosseted tennis players are complaining Down Under because of the quarantine conditions they are enduring in Melbourne ahead of the Australian swing.

Barty gets a head start

Ash Barty, the WTA World No 1, relocated to Melbourne when Brisbane announced a sudden three-day lockdown after a confirmed COVID-19 case on 8 January and took advantage to practise at Rod Laver Arena before it was locked down.

TA under fire…

Tennis Australia is under fire for apparently allowing provisionally suspended Dayana Yastremska to board a charter flight to Melbourne for the Australian swing.

AO Casualty: Madison Keys tests positive

As concerns grow over Andy Murray’s participation at the Australian Open after he tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week, Madison Keys announced on Thursday that she too has the virus and will not be playing in Melbourne.

No preferential treatment for Murray

On the day that players start arriving down under to undergo a fortnight’s quarantine before competing in the Australian Open, Andy Murray learns that his chances of joining them in Melbourne are slim following comments from the Victorian state health minister Martin...

Murray may miss Aussie Open!

Reports are emerging that Andy Murray has tested positive for Covid-19 and is currently isolating in his home in Surrey.

16 women qualify for AO in Melbourne

With the final round of qualifying completed on Wednesday in Dubai, the 16 women who have won through to places in the main draw in Melbourne have been determined, with Britain’s Francesca Jones in the mix alongside the likes of veteran Tsvetana Pironkova and teenager...

Hurkatcz downs Korda for Delray Beach title

Hubert Hurkatcz dashed Sebastian Korda’s hopes of winning his first ATP Title when he won after 68-minutes, the Delray Beach Open 6-3 6-3 on Wednesday.

Superb Sabalenka storms to Abu Dhabi title

Aryna Sabalenka added a 9th singles trophy to her growing collection when she lifted the Abu Dhabi WTA Women’s Open trophy on Wednesday after dispatching Russia’s Veronika Kudermetova, 6-2 6-2, in the final.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Wimbledon will be played next year

Sally Bolton, the new Chief Executive of the All England Club, has confirmed that next year’s Championships will definitely be played, irrespective of prevailing health situation which the current pandemic is creating.

We are working closely with the relevant government and public health authorities, alongside the rest of the sports industry, to understand the varying challenges and opportunities presented by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. AELTC Statement

“Staging The Championships in 2021 is our number one priority and we are actively engaged in scenario planning in order to deliver on that priority,” she said, alleviating concerns that Wimbledon might be cancelled again as the Government continues to try and contain the spread of Covid-19.

The tournament, which was cancelled this year for the first time since 1945, is now firmly scheduled to run next year from June 28-July 11 and will be held s normal but if necessary with reduced capacity or even behind closed door without any fans, the club statement said.

All of the options are dependent on the status of government and public health guidelines, the club said.

The U.S. Open and French Open were held this year but with strict protocols to reduce the possibility of spreading the virus. No fans were allowed at Flushing Meadows, while Roland Garros was limited to 1,000 fans per day.

“Our overriding priority will continue to be the health and safety of all of our stakeholders, in particular our guests, our staff, and our competitors,” the AELTC statement added.

“We are working closely with the relevant government and public health authorities, alongside the rest of the sports industry, to understand the varying challenges and opportunities presented by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.”

The Australian Open was held this year before the coronavirus pandemic set in and spread its tentacles around the world, and while Craig Tilley Australian Open Chief Executive maintains it will be run as normal as scheduled from Jan. 18-31, there are doubts as we draw closer to the event and the country has imposed a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine for inbound travellers.






Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.