NEW

Nadal avenges Madrid loss

Up to the quarter-final stage of the Rome Masters, Rafa Nadal could be said to have had a fairly torrid time and when he faced Alexander Zverev for a place in the last four, many expected the German, last week’s Madrid Masters winner, to maintain his winning form over...

Pliskova to meet Ostapenko in Rome quarters

Karolina Pliskova is the sole seed in the lower half of the draw and takes on Jelena Ostapenko, the 2017 French Open champion, in the quarter-finals of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, while Petra Martic and Jessica Pegula will contest the last quarter on Friday.

Barty cruises, Gauff stuns Sabalenka and Svitolina swats Muguruza

World No 1 Ash Barty remains on track to add the Rome title to her expanding collection but must overcome Coco Gauff in the quarter-finals, who upset Aryna Sabalenka, the Madrid champion, at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia on Thursday, while Elina Svitolina took out...

Nadal one point from defeat

Rafa Nadal’s invincibility on clay is being tested more regularly than you would expect and makes his forthcoming challenge at Roland Garros in a few weeks’ time, the more intriguing.

Jo Konta and Venus Williams enter Nottingham

British No 1 Johanna Konta and 10-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams will headline this year’s Nottingham Open field, the first of the returning LTA summer grass court events.

Osaka leads march of seeds out of Rome

On a day of major upsets at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia, the underdogs prevailed, seeing off seeds Naomi Osaka, Simona Halep, Sofia Kenin, Serena Williams, Petra Kvitova, and Maria Sakkari in a procession of upsets at the Foro Italico in Rome.

Nadal back on track

Rafa Nadal, playing his first match at the Foro Italico following his quarter-final loss to Alexander Zverev at last week’s Madrid Masters, declared himself happy with his performance in overcoming Jannik Sinner in straight sets, but not so with the scheduling by the...

Konta follows Bencic and Mertens out of Rome

Seeds started to tumble at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome, with Belinda Bencic and Elise Mertens followed out of the draw by Jo Konta, while Garbiñe Muguruza and Angelique Kerber were among those to win through on Tuesday.

Kvitova, Brady, Swiatek and Sakkari open Rome accounts

The Internazionali BNL d’Italia got under way at the Foro Italico in Rome on Monday, with some of the seeds in action and coming through unscathed, although Petra Kvitova had to come from a set down against Magda Linette to advance, while Jennifer Brady won in...

Evans crashes out of Rome

Dan Evans excellent run on clay over the past few weeks came to an end in the first round of the Rome Masters when h suffered a very-bad tempered loss to Taylor Fritz.
Tennis News, Tennis Results, Live Tennis Scores & Interviews

Yastremska appeals

Dayana Yastremska, whose provisional suspension for doping was upheld last weekend, is appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport with a request for her case to be fast-tracked so it can be resolved ahead of the Australian Open, which starts of 8 February.

The CAS arbitration has commenced and the parties have agreed to an expedited procedure in order to enable a sole arbitrator to issue a final decision by 3 February. CAS Statement

The Court has told the World No 29 that they will make a decision by 3 February, giving the Ukrainian a chance of competing as she waits for an answer in quarantine in Melbourne.

Yastremska was provisionally banned earlier in January for failing an out-of-competition doping test and the ITF rejected the 20-year-old’s attempt to lift the ban on Saturday.

“The CAS arbitration has commenced and the parties have agreed to an expedited procedure in order to enable a sole arbitrator to issue a final decision by 3 February,” said CAS.

Yastremska has denied using performance-enhancing drugs after testing positive for mesterolone metabolite, an anabolic agent, in November.

The Ukrainian, who has been ranked as high as 21 in the world, said she was ‘shocked’ by the positive test and suggested it was the result of a ‘contamination event’.

Despite the provisional ban, she was allowed to travel to Melbourne for AO21, and has been in quarantine with other players.

“In her appeal to CAS, Ms Yastremska seeks to have the challenged decision set aside and her provisional suspension lifted in order to be able to participate in the 2021 Australian Open tennis tournament,” added CAS.






Previous

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.