fbpx

Select Page

Zhuhai | Kyrgios receives ban by ATP

Zhuhai | Kyrgios receives ban by ATP

Having been given a $113,000 fine by the ATP for ball abuse, leaving the court without permission, an audible obscenity and unsportsmanlike conduct during his loss to Russia’s Karen Khachanov during the Cincinnati Masters prior to the US Open, Nick Kyrgios has been under investigation for his overall behaviour having also been fined and disqualified for throwing a chair on court during the Rome Masters in May.

Guess I'm on my best behaviour for 6 months Nick Kyrgios

The results of that investigation have just been released with the ATP deciding that the controversial Aussie star is to be suspended for 6 weeks as of yesterday, Thursday, and placed on probation for six months for “aggravated behaviour” following his on-court outbursts over the past year.

The suspension is deferred pending Kyrgios’ compliance with several strict conditions mandated by the ATP, which include seeking additional support from a specialist in behavioural management during the off-season.

“The suspension will be lifted at the end of the six-month probationary period provided that the above conditions are met,” the ATP said in a statement. It added the same applied to a $25,000 fine.

“The investigation… has concluded that Kyrgios has been found to have committed aggravated behaviour under the Player Major Offense provision in the ATP Code,” the governing body said.

“The investigation found a pattern of behaviour related to Kyrgios’s verbal abuse of officials and/or spectators in the past 12 months that constitutes a violation” of the ATP rule book,” it added.

Kyrgios, 24, has five days to appeal the decision.

However, he avoided further punishment for calling the ATP “pretty corrupt” during the US Open.

“Following a clarification issued by the player the following day, it was determined that the incident did not constitute a Player Major Offense, and no additional penalties were applied,” the ATP said.

Tennis great Rod Laver this month called for Kyrgios to be suspended over bad behaviour, saying his fellow Australian appeared not to be learning from his mistakes.

Laver, an 11-time Grand Slam champion who is considered one of the sport’s greatest players, said time away from tennis could be the answer.

“Whatever they have done hasn’t worked so far, so maybe a suspension is the only answer,” he told The Sydney Morning Herald.
“I’m not sure he’s learned anything from any of the things that have gone on.”

Kyrgios served a three-week ban in 2016 after being accused of not trying at the Shanghai Masters. His initial eight-week suspension was reduced after he agreed to see a sports psychologist.

He lost in the first round of the Zhuhai Championships on Wednesday, after which he said that he could sit out the rest of the season because of a collarbone injury.

Commenting on the ban, Kyrgios said on Twitter: “Guess I’m on my best behaviour for 6 months.”






About The Author

Henry Wancke

Henry Wancke is one of the most respected Tennis writers in the UK. Henry is the Editor of both Tennis Threads Magazine and tennisthreads.net. He previously worked as Editor of Tennis World, Serve & Volley as well as Tennis Today magazines and been stringer for The Daily Telegraph, The Guardian and Press Association. He also co-authored the Ultimate Encyclopaedia of Tennis with John Parsons published by Carlton, and the Federation Cup – the first 32 years, published by the ITF. Currently he is the Secretary of the Lawn Tennis Writers’ Association and Hon Vice President of the Tennis Industry Association UK.

2 Comments

  1. Louise Halliday

    A great talent going to waste silly boy needs to grow up 😡

    Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

TENNIS MAGAZINE

Subscribe

Tennis Threads is the newest and now the only monthly printed Tennis magazine in the UK. Packed with exclusive news and reports from some of the most respected Tennis journalists in the UK. Read about your favourite players including Andy Murray, Jo Konta, Katie Boulter, Heather Watson and Kyle Edmund. Purchase a 12-month subscription today and receive 25% off the cover price.

Subscribe